The area for medical care covered by the Argerich Hospital includes the Southeastern area of the city of Buenos Aires, limited at the North by Córdoba Avenue, at the South by the Riachuelo, at the East by the La Plata River, and at the West by the Carlos Pellegrini and Bernardo de Irigoyen Avenues and the General Roca train railroads. This area, which includes the neighborhoods of La Boca, San Telmo, and a part of the San Nicolás, Monserrat, Constitución, and Barracas neighborhoods, is one of the oldest parts of the city of Buenos Aires, and with a greatest historical richness. Here we find the political, religious, and economic centers of the country and the city.
• Lezama Park: Located one block away from the Hospital. It is believed to have been the site chosen by Pedro de Mendoza in 1536 to found the city.
• Plaza de Mayo: Since 1810, this has been the place where Argentine People gathers spontaneously in the most significant moments of history.
• Cabildo: The seat of the Government of the La Plata River Viceroyalty and site of the Declaration of Independence from Spain on May 25th, 1810.
• Plaza Dorrego: After Plaza de Mayo, the oldest green area in Buenos Aires.
Governmental Buildings and Areas
• Casa Rosada: Seat of the National Government
• Government of the City of Buenos Aires: Seat of the Autonomous Government of the City of Buenos Aires
• Ministry of Economy
• Ministry of Defence
• Ministry of Work and Social Security
• Ministry of Health and Social Action
• Religious places
• Cathedral of Buenos Aires
• Seat of the National Episcopate: In it, the remains of the American Liberator General José de San Martín.
• Russian Orthodox Church: One of the most picturesque churches in the city.
• Church of San Telmo: National Historical Monument. It was built around year 1734.
• School of Engineering (University of Buenos Aires)
• Argentine Catholic University (UCA)
• Austral University (UA)
• Bolsa de Comercio (Stock Market): the “Wall Street” of Buenos Aires.
• Microcentro: the downtown area in Buenos Aires.
• Club Atlético Boca Juniors: One of the most important soccer clubs in the country, and undoubtedly, the one with most followers.
• Caminito: a street in the La Boca neighborhood immortalized by the tango “Caminito”.
• Corrientes Avenue: one of the most important avenues in the city. The 10 first blocks of it are covered by the Hospital. Known because of its theaters and a tango that mentions it.
• Florida and Lavalle: Pedestrian streets. Commercial and recreational areas.
• Puerto Madero: a new area in the city, where the best restaurants and recreational areas are found, as well as offices and companies.
Next, a summary of the article “Cosme Mariano Argerich, Doctor in Medicine of the Union and Cloister of the Royal and Pontifical University of Cervera,” written by Dr. Celso Moradei, for the Argerich Hospital Journal (Volume 2, issue Nº 2, June 1998).
• Cosme Mariano Argerich was born on September 26th, 1758, in the city of Buenos Aires. He was the oldest of 17 siblings.
• When he became 18, his father sent him to study in Spain, where he obtained the degree of “Doctor in Medicine of the Union and Cloister of the Royal and Pontifical University of Cervera.”
• He returned to Buenos Aires in 1784, and was appointed physician in the School of Orphans, and later, “First Examiner of Protomedicato (organization with the function of overseeing a proper practice of medicine.)”
• Between years 1794 and 1799, along with Agustín Fabre and Bernardo Nogués, he wrote the “Regulations of the Royal School of Medicine and Surgery of Buenos Aires” and in 1802 he took the position of “General Protomedic and Major of all Schools of Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy, and Phlebotomy” and as Lecturer of Medicine.
• He actively participated in the Open Town Hall on May 22nd, 1810, and his criterion won on the Town Hall on May 25th.
• In 1813, the Constitution Assembly, due to the political situation, transformed the School of Sciences into the Military Medical Institute, and appointed Argerich as its Director. From such position, in 1816, he provided General San Martín with sanitary and medical material for the campaigns that would liberate Chile.
• He died on February 14, 1820, because of angina.
• Currently, his remains rest in the cemetery of La Recoleta.